Tuesday, August 3, 2010

I Finally Did It!

I knew you figured I wouldn't--I figured I wouldn't. But I actually made a blog! Probably because Paul did it first, and I can't let him one-up me. I'll try and write every time I do something interesting, which will hopefully be often. I'll try to get everyone up to speed on what I've done so far.

On the 18th I flew from Boston to DC, from DC to Bogotá, and from there to Buenos Aires. DC was rocky because the airline had overbooked by like ten people and was trying to find a way to get rid of people, but I told them I absolutely had to be on the plane and eventually they put me on. The Colombian airlines were actually really nice, except for the very vague boarding times. And taking off times. I was sure I wouldn't make my connecting flight, but because of the air traffic in Bogotá it ended up being fine. I even made a friend on the flight! But I haven't seen her since. When I landed, I was super confused by having not slept in a day and not being sure of what the time difference was. Eventually I found my program, and we awkwardly stood around talking about how tired we were and where we were from.

From there they put us in RadioTaxi and sent us off to our host family's house. Despite my best efforts, I was asleep for most of the ride. Eventually the driver made me get out of the car and plopped me in front of a really expensive-looking apartment building. The doorman let me in and asked me if I was Cristina's new student. I was amazed that he knew who I would be with, but she has had 13 exchange students before me and this is all old hat for her.

When I arrived, she had just woken up and was full of energy and ready for lunch. She was really excited for the fried fish over which we discussed what foods I don't like. I figured it was too late to tell her I don't like fish, and forgot to tell her about peppers. Of course, that meant we had more fish and some peppers for dinner. Then my host mom went out to meet her friends and told me I'd be able to do it someday soon. That was my first day!

No comments:

Post a Comment